A little bit of music royalty from Asbury Park, New Jersey, graced the Toronto’s Danforth Music Hall for Canadian Thanksgiving.
Little Steven & The Disciples of Soul armed with a 15-piece band played to a turkey-hangover crowd of Springsteen devotees.
Promoting the latest release LP “Soulfire”, attendees were treated to revisiting songs that span the length of his career as artist, performer, producer, arranger, and songwriter, focusing directly on the hugely influential “soul horns-meet-rock ‘n’ roll guitars” approach he first pioneered on Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes’ classic first three albums.
Starting off with a tribute to the recently sad & sudden departure of rock legend Tom Petty with “Even the Losers”, Little Steven & The Disciples of Soul quickly took the audience through a time warp of cherished rock influences.
Covering the great James Brown’s “Down and Out in New York City”; Gary “U.S.” Bonds “Standing in the Line of Fire”; to celebrating John Lennon’s birthday with his classic “Working Class Hero”.
Finishing off with his 1984 solo album “Voice of America”, single “Out of the Darkness”, the audience (like the end of a Bruce Springsteen concert) were left with a taste of Asbury Park bliss.
Coincidently, fellow Springsteen bandmate Max Weinberg was in town the following night at the legendary Horseshoe Tavern for its 70th Anniversary celebration, see our coverage for another momentous night HERE.
- Even the Losers (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers cover)
- Lyin’ in a Bed of Fire
- Inside of Me
- Soulfire (The Breakers cover)
- Blues Is My Business (Etta James cover)
- Love On The Wrong Side of Town (Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes cover)
- Until the Good Is Gone
- Angel Eyes
- Saint Valentine’s Day (Cocktail Slippers cover)
- Standing in the Line of Fire (Gary “U.S.” Bonds cover)
- I Saw the Light
- Down and Out in New York City (James Brown cover)
- Princess of Little Italy
- Working Class Hero (John Lennon cover)
- Leonard Peltier
- I Am a Patriot
- Groovin’ Is Easy (The Electric Flag cover)
- Ride the Night Away (Jimmy Barnes cover)
- Bitter Fruit
- I Don’t Want To Go Home (Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes Cover)
- Out of the Darkness
- Steve van Zandt (lead vocals, guitar)
- Marc Ribler (guitar, musical director)
- Charley Drayton (drums)
- Jack Daley (bass)
- Lowell “Banana” Levinger (piano and mandolin)
- Andy Burton (B3 organ and accordion)
- Everett Bradley (percussion)
- Ed Manion (baritone sax, leading horn)
- Stan Harrison (tenor sax and flute)
- Ron Tooley (trumpet) Ravi Best (trumpet)
- Ravi Best (trumpet)
- Clark Gayton (trombone)
- Jessie Wagner (backing vocals)
- Yahzarah Saint James (backing vocals)
- Erika Jerry (backing vocals)
3 responses to “LITTLE STEVEN AND THE DISCIPLES OF SOUL: US Soulfire Tour 2017 @ Danforth Music Hall (Oct 9, 2017)”
Howdy! Would ʏou mind if I share your blog with my faceЬook group?
There’s a lot of people that I think would realⅼy enjoy your content.
Please let me knoԝ. Cheers
Thanks for the post!
Of course, thanks again.
I discovered your website from Google and also I need to state
it was an excellent locate. Many thanks!